Monday, February 26, 2018

Speedbumps

Today is 24 days since surgery. It's not been an easy road.

At my appointment on the 13th, I got one drain out. Last night (well, at 3am today), one of my drains fell out on its own. The good thing is that its output was low enough that it was going to come out tomorrow anyway, so it's all good. But it sure surprised me when it happened. So I have two drains left. One more will come out tomorrow, due to low output. The last one is still pulling quite a bit so it will not be coming out tomorrow.

Last Friday, I woke up at 2:30am to an opening in my stomach incision. I knew enough not to freak out, but we did have to go to Ann Arbor to my plastic surgeon's office. He wasn't there so I saw one of his PAs. Kristina was very nice. She assured me that it's rather common, that it's going to be okay. She said my opening looks really clean. She put me on antibiotics anyway, just in case I develop an infection. She packed my wound and showed me how to, because I now get to pack it twice a day. One of the most gross things I've ever done, but I'll do it if it means faster healing.

I am being soooo lazy. I barely move off of our couch that has a built-in recliner. I sit in it to work on my computer all day and I recline it slightly to sleep at night. I get up like three times a day. Don't worry; I do exercise my legs throughout the day.

So... I go back to see my plastic surgeon tomorrow. I plan to ask him about the plan for the open wound. I plan to ask him how long he'll allow drains to stay in. I understand their importance so in that respect I'm not in a hurry to get them out, but I hate them, so I want them out. Most of all, I'm hoping they see some improvement in the open wound so I know I'm doing it right.

That's it for now. I'll update after tomorrow's visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment