Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Drumming Woodpeckers, Jackhammers, and Tornado Sirens...

... That's what it sounds like inside the MRI "tube".

I had my breast MRI on Sunday. I was very anxious, as I am extremely claustrophobic. I've had a MRI on my knee in the past (long ago), but for that, my whole body wasn't in the tube. This time it was. I didn't ask my doctor for anxiety meds because I drove myself (an hour and a half each way) to the MRI and I was afraid of not being able to drive if I was "too relaxed." On the way to my appointment, I tried building myself up and talking my anxiety down. It worked a bit, until I made myself cry when I reminded myself that I was doing this in large part for my kids and our future.

It took them a couple of times to get the IV in, but then it was in fine. When I got into the MRI room, two techs were there to work with me. One helped get my gown positioned for the test while one put ear plugs in my ears (because it gets soooo loud). They had my lay down on the table. For a breast MRI, you're face down. Your arms are positioned in front of you, next to your face and almost like you're in the position to fly. Your breasts go in these holes, your face rests on what feels like a snorkeling mask (though others relate it to a massage table, which I've never experienced). There are two mirrors positioned so that you can see in the room a bit rather than just staring at the floor or part of the table. The techs put a set of ear muffs over my ears (yes, even with the ear plugs in because it gets soooo loud). They put a foam wedge of sorts under my legs to angle them for comfort. They then push the table you're laying on into the tube.

The techs talk to you as the exam is getting ready to start. Then it just gets really loud for a while. There were eight scans total. The table moved for some (which they warned me about before it started moving). I was anxious but knew that I needed to find a way to get through this. I decided to think of the drumming and jackhammering sounds as a music beat and was kind of humming along. I went through my to-do list for the upcoming week in my head. I tried to fall asleep. I started to snooze and then came the tornado siren sounds. Right in my ear. Made me jump a bit (because I was just about asleep LOL). Next thing I know, they told me it was time for the contrast dye to be injected into my IV. It was a weird sensation, warm from head to toe inside my body, made me feel like I peed my pants (though I didn't LOL). The tech tells me "two scans and eight minutes left... you're almost done." . I knew then that I could make it through the rest. Then she tells me "one to go, just three minutes." I tried counting down from 180. Then it was done.

After your MRI, you will have a funky taste in your mouth from the contrast dye. Be prepared. It even made animal crackers taste nasty. LOL

I was quite worked up in my mind before this exam. I was anticipating one of my worst nightmares. It wasn't easy, but it was way easier than I anticipated. So if you're claustrophobic and worried about an upcoming breast MRI, I promise that you can do it. I never thought I'd be able to, but I was. Oh, and make your appointment somewhere with a large aperture MRI machine (the one I was in was 70cm bore). It's much less claustrophobia-inducing when the sides don't feel like they're touching your skin.

No comments:

Post a Comment