Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Stupid BRCA Mutations

Just feeling emotional and sad today. 

One of my coworkers just got the news yesterday that she's positive for the BRCA2 mutation. A friend of mine is waiting for her appointment with a geneticist to schedule her testing, as her mom is positive for the BRCA2 mutation. 

Prior to Angelina Jolie's experience, I had never heard of BRCA mutations. Prior to finding out that's what made cancer so rampant in my dad's family, I had no clue I was at risk for this. Prior to my BRCA1 mutation diagnosis, I had no clue anyone in "my circle" was affected by it. Now I know that many of my relatives are positive, some of my husband's cousins are positive (it runs on the other side of the family so my kids don't have a double whammy), and some of my friends are positive or at risk. 

And it just makes me sick. Sick to my stomach, sick in my heart. I'm so glad we have the chance to find out about the mutation before it's too late, but I wish we didn't have to deal with this. 

Life is really unfair sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment