Friday, March 3, 2017

Background

Breast cancer runs rampant in my dad's family. I've pretty much always known that I have several relatives who have had it and who have it now, but I didn't realize the full extent of the history and I didn't know about the ovarian cancer history in my family either.

Until yet another female cousin was diagnosed with breast cancer in her early thirties and a male cousin was diagnosed  in his mid-forties, within a very short time of each other. My fear started taking hold and my mortality stared me in the face.

So I made an appointment for a mammogram, worked my way into an appointment with a geneticist because of our family history, and got blood drawn for the genetic test about two weeks ago. This whole situation and process have made me feel both very empowered and afraid. But I'd rather know what's going on and be able to make decisions for myself than be shocked when I'm diagnosed with cancer and then be too overwhelmed and scared to make the best decisions for me.

The mammogram (my first, at 41 years old) came back clean. The blood test did not.

I have four kids. My positive result now means they have a 50% chance of having the mutation. Had I tested negative, they couldn't have the mutation. I am scared for them too. But I can't let myself be. My oldest is 17 and my youngest is 7 and I can't let myself live in fear for the next 40 years.

I need to get my thoughts down, I need a safe place to "talk", and I want to help others as they navigate this road. It's scary. But I'm not alone and neither are you.

No comments:

Post a Comment