Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Trade Ovarian Cancer for Heart Disease and Loss of Bone Density?

I had my appointment with my gynecologist this morning. I thought I'd end up with a couple of tests run today and I'd leave with a referral to a surgeon.

Nope.

My gyn is quite convinced that I'm "acting too strongly too quickly." She'll do whatever I want her to (and she can do an oophorectomy or hysterectomy without having to refer me to anyone). But she is very convinced that waiting 8 to 10 years for either of those is a better option for me. She said that either procedure will put me in some degree of early menopause. She said that means my body would age much quicker and that my chances for loss of bone density and of heart disease would be higher very quickly.

So basically, I would trade off the risk of ovarian cancer for the risk of heart disease and brittle bones.

I asked about monitoring for ovarian cancer in some way. She said she can order pelvic ultrasounds for me, yearly if I want them that often. For the time being, at least until my geneticist visit in August, that's what I'm going to do. I'm going to get my first ultrasound as soon as possible so I can see if I already have ovarian cancer. I'll talk to the geneticist. If my risk of ovarian cancer is too much for me to take, I'll have my gyn do the oophorectomy this year. If I decide I'm comfortable waiting, I'll get yearly ultrasounds until I'm much closer to natural menopause.

Add all of this to stuff I never thought I'd have to worry about and things I don't really feel like dealing with or talking about now. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment