Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Feeling a Little Calmer...

... though still anxious and scared.

I finally had time to sit and really talk about this with my husband. We work opposite schedules and life with four kids is crazy busy, so it took time to find time.

I think I know what I'm going to do. I think I'm going to do the oopherectomy (or hysterectomy), if a doctor recommends it based on my results. I have a feeling that I already have ovarian cancer (hopefully I'm wrong), so between that and my age, I want to get that taken care of first. Ideally, I'd like to do it this summer. I think I'll then have the mastectomy with DIEP flap reconstruction. That means they'd use my belly fat for reconstruction. It's more invasive and a longer recovery, but it's one surgery and done instead of surgery again later down the road. And I certainly have fat to spare. Ideally, I'd like to do that surgery next summer.

All of this hinges on talking to a doctor. If I don't hear back from the geneticist's office in Ann Arbor today, I'm going to call the doctor who ordered my mammo and gave me my genetic test results. I'm going to tell her my thoughts and ask what the next step is. I think I want to go with docs in Ann Arbor for everything, simply because there's no better hospital in the world than University of Michigan Hospital, in my opinion. But then I'd be further away for my family and friends to come see me and I'd have to travel further for my follow-ups. I'll decide that stuff after I talk to the local doctor.

If things take as long as it sounds like they will, I'm hoping they'll agree to do MRIs and mammos every six months until the mastectomy is done. I need the monitoring and reassurance in the meantime.

It's all still too much to think about rationally, but I'll feel a lot better when I have a plan, pick docs, and get moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment