Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Moving in (what's hopefully) the Right Direction

I didn't hear back from the geneticist's office today, so I called my doctor. I told her what I think I want to do. I cannot wait until June to get in with a geneticist and waste all of the time between now and then. I'm already on edge and the verge of tears all the time.

So... I have an appointment with my (local) gynecologist later this month. We'll talk about my results and her recommendation.

I am getting a referral to a breast surgeon and a plastic surgeon in Ann Arbor. I have to go there for the mastectomy with DIEP flap reconstruction, as nobody locally does that type of reconstruction. My doctor thinks it only requires about a 3-day hospital stay. That's not too long to be that far away.

I asked my doctor to order a breast MRI for me in May so that I can be monitored as much as possible. She's working on preauthorization from my insurance company and then will order it.

At least things are moving along now. Hopefully I'm choosing the right path for me. I'm worried that I'm moving too fast and making decisions too fast, but at the same time, I think I have to.

I am working on telling my brothers what's going on. Since my results mean that my dad is positive for the mutation, that means my brothers may be. I don't know what they know, so I want to make sure I tell them what I can. They each have kids too. Lots to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment